This is a real simple recipe since some of the work was cut out using a frozen bag of veggies. It was really good! I think the hardest part is making a good roux.
All purpose flour or cornstarch
Frozen bag of vegetable Gumbo mix (Make sure this has no added sauces or seasonings can mainly be found in the frozen veggie section at a grocery store I got mine from Bilo. It included red peppers, onions, okra, celery and corn)
2 Garlic cloves
Around 2-3 medium sized chicken breast cooked (I used leftover chicken breast from my Herb Roasted Whole Chicken)
Can of diced tomatoes or 2 fresh tomatoes
1 long Turkey Sausage link
21 Seasoning salute (or a blend of seasoning that include spices and herbs commonly found in stocks)
1) Put around 1/4 cup of Coconut Oil to a pan on medium heat
2) Add 2 TB of flour and stir for around 3-5 minutes until brown (add more flour if needed
3) Once roux is brown add garlic cloves and frozen bag of veggie mix for 2-3 minutes
4) Add chopped turkey sausage and chicken breasts to the mix.
5) Add 1/4 cup of Chicken broth
6) Add 1//2 ts of cayenne pepper, paprika, cumin, and 21 seasoning salute or your herb blend. Those are just an estimate I am an eyeball cook so I just sprinkle and add more and taste to see if I like it and add more of something (it’s an experienced random cook thing lol))Add more cayenne if you like it spicier and you can also add chili powder if you wish. Creole seasoning can be used as well
7) Remove from heat so sauce can thicken
Serve over Jasmine Rice or Brown rice to keep it as a healthier meal or add a lil starch and choose your own rice Serves 4-6 people Enjoy!
If I struggled to help make anything clear check out this recipe from the experienced recipe writers http://www.food.com/recipe/quick-easy-chicken-sausage-gumbo-109348